Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Roots by Cholly Capps

A Little History of Your Rotary Club

Bob Moorman celebrates 43 years as a member of the Rotary Club of Coral Gables (1997). Those are very deep roots!! Bob whose name I've spelled correctly, is the head man at Carroll's Jewelers on Miracle Mile for some 50 years.

This reminds me that I only made three errors in my Roots report on Sam Buroughs and his 85th Birthday. First I spelled his name wrong. Perhaps if Sam sticks around the Club for another 41 years we'll get it right. Second I said he worked for U.S. Steel. Actually he was so good at working for Bethlehem Steel he ran U.S. Steel right out of Miami! And, I shouldn't give Sam credit for being in the Club longer than Bob Moorman.

We can all congratulate Sam for a new mileage record to avoid a make-up meeting. He came 1,250 miles from Pennsylvania just to come to the Moose Milk Party on January 1st. That takes care of Sam.

Now you need to take care of congratulating Bob Moorman for about 1,250 Rotary meetings -- give or take a few that he missed.

Ed. Note: Bob Moorman passed away in 2009, a 55-year member of our Club. Carroll's Jewelers had just celebrated their 60th year on Miracle Mile. The oldest business on the street.

No comments: