Friday, May 6, 2011

End Polio for Mother's Day


Rotary friends,

My mother recently celebrated her 90th birthday and I wanted to do something extra special for her this Mother’s Day, to recognize all that she’s done for me. What better way to say thank you to mom, than to help the children of the world. This year, I’m making a gift in her name to PolioPlus, so that no mother or child will ever have to suffer the horrible effects of polio.

Thinking about Mother’s Day I am reminded of a letter that I received from a non-Rotarian friend. It is easy to feel sympathy from afar since for most of us, polio doesn’t touch our daily lives. But my friend realized just how far we’ve come and how fortunate we are in our efforts towards polio eradication. Please read his letter below and consider making a gift to honor all mothers this Mother’s Day.

Dear Ed,

My son received his polio vaccination yesterday. I took him to the pediatrician for his two-month baby check-up, a most important one. Five vaccinations including the polio vaccine were administered so efficiently; effortlessly; so routinely. I held his hand, and calmed his cries, feeling bad for the pain he experienced, but knowing it was for his own good. These shots will protect him from diseases that we forgot even existed.

I then began to think of my own son’s experience in the context of what you, as Rotarians, are doing. No political or geographic terrain to negotiate - just the sharp turns in the office parking garage. No little pinky being dipped in ink - just a Sesame Street band-aid over the injection site. No National Immunization Day - just a meager insurance co-pay. But he is now safe from a crippling, life-threatening disease. Boy, what I have taken for granted. My son received his polio vaccination yesterday. He is now safe - like millions of children around the world, thanks to you.

I will never again take for granted what we have. And I will never be able to articulate with words how much your efforts mean to me. I am personally moved by your selfless gestures of generosity. It shows your thoughtfulness, compassion and commitment to our global community. You help ensure that kids less fortunate will lead healthier, happier and more rewarding lives. Please don't ever lose sight of what you, collectively, are doing. I sure won't.

I wanted to share this letter with you as it captures the essence of our extraordinary efforts to eradicate polio. We’re “This Close” to a polio-free world and together we’ll get the job done. Please consider joining me by honoring your mother this coming Mother’s Day with a donation to Rotary’s global polio eradication effort.

Sincerely,

Ed Futa
General Secretary
www.rotary.org

No comments: